Are you interested in learning about the eco-friendly options available to remodel your home? Renovating your home using environmentally friendly products means more than upgrading your existing space; it also gives you an opportunity to help support an important cause while preserving natural resources. The knowledgeable designers, builders and master craftsman at Future Vision Remodeling are available to offer assistance to help you make the right environmentally conscious choices for your home renovation. Some of the areas that call for consideration include the type and sustainability of building materials and taking advantage of natural light and heat sources to reduce energy consumption and lower your energy bills.
Planning your Eco-Friendly Remodel Renovation
A portion of your “go green” plan should include deciding what to do with your waste products once your remodel begins. Rethink you waste by re-purposing the items for other uses around the home. Other areas to consider include reselling or donating any leftover usable materials instead of throwing them away. Your Future Vision Remodeling project manager will help you select new materials for your remodel that are certified environmentally friendly including low or no-VOC paints, sealers and caulks. Substitute carpet and hardwood with eco-friendly bamboo, cork, and reclaimed wood. Look for products that are certified by The Greenguard Environmental Institute and the Forest Stewardship Council.
Environmentally Friendly Kitchen Design Remodel Options Such as Formaldehyde Free Cabinetry
The kitchen is the area of the home that is often the highest priority when it comes to home remodeling wish lists. If you are interested in a kitchen remodel and you want to keep it “green” consider these options:
• Select Energy Star rated appliances which require less energy and result in lower utility bills. Many utility companies also offer rebates and federal tax credits may also be available. Go to the Energy Star website at https://www.energystar.gov for more information.
• Choose formaldehyde-free cabinetry to avoid the release of environmental toxins. Other material options include sustainable harvested wood products certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC).
• Choose from countertops made from recycled content including glass, paper, cork , and other materials
• Make the most of natural light by installing energy efficient windows and skylights.
Eco Friendly & Sustainable Bathroom Products, Fixtures & Designs
The bathroom is another area within the home that provides plenty of eco-friendly remodeling opportunities. Bathroom and kitchen remodels have the added benefit of increasing home’s value. Ideas to consider for a “green” bathroom upgrade include:
• Replacing toilets with low-flow models
• Installing tiles made from recycled materials
• Installing flow reducer showers and sinks to lower the amount of water being used.
Environmentally Conscious Options for Room Additions
If you are interested in adding a new addition onto your existing home, consider these environmentally conscious remodeling options:
• Install ceiling fans to provide a cool breeze during the summer months and rotate warm air during the winter.
• Place windows and overhangs to take advantage of light and heat produced by the sun.
• Install “green“ insulation made of cellulose or paper in walls to prevent the possibility of heat transfer.